Looks for Spring Racing Carnival
What’s hot and what’s not for this year’s Melbourne Spring Carnival Race?
We’ve mostly been homebodies for the last couple of years, loving our loungewear and extra time with a cuppa and a Netflix special or two. But as the world moves on, it’s time to get back out there and flex your fashion muscles once again!
As the winter weather fades (ever so slowly), it’s your call to start planning your Spring Racing season attire. Celebrated by Aussies everywhere, some of the most fun we can have with our fashion comes at this time of year. It’s a time to dress boldly, yet comfortably, whilst keeping it elegant and stylish.
To show our adoration for the daring and classy trends, we gathered our favourite looks and styling tips for the Carnival.
- It’s daytime, so wear a day dress, rather than an evening dress.
- Don’t go crazy with the fake tan. Pale can be elegant.
- The weather is variable, think about wearing a jacket or shrug if the weather turns cool.
- Dresses should come to the knee, decorum is classy.
- Head wear is usually made to sit on the right side of your head, so if you part your hair on the left, when attaching a fascinator, part it to the right so the volume of your hair balances your hat.
Derby Day – Black and White
- If your colouring is cool, this colour combination works for you, particularly if you have dark hair and pale skin. But if you’re a cool blonde why not try a mostly white outfit with just a hint of black, such as a patent black belt with patent black shoes and a black clutch.
- If your colouring is warm, rather than go stark black and white, choose an off white, buff or beige to go with your black.
- You can add a touch of colour with a belt, bag or shoes, but don’t go overboard.
Dress code: shades of blue
According to the Australian Turf Club, blue hues are favoured at the ‘world’s richest turf race’, so why not add a pop of blue to your ensemble? Or go all out.
Melbourne Cup Day – Dress to Impress
- Melbourne Cup Day is your day to go all out. Wear colour and don’t forget your hat.
Crown Oaks Day – Ladies Day
- Today the men will be wearing a pink rose, so why not think about this as the day to bring out your more feminine side, lace, florals and a feminine shape are appropriate.
Emirates Stakes Day – Family Day
- The most relaxed day of the Spring Racing Carnival, but never go under dressed – there are still race day dress code standards to uphold. Think about having fun with your outfit, a solid colour with alternate colour shoes and clutch is a great option.